So you want to get started in CrossFit in Collingwood?
Not all CrossFit boxes are created equal, and the interpretation of what CrossFit is can be very different depending on what gym you choose.
Before moving to Collingwood I coached at numerous CrossFit boxes in the GTA, and each one offered me a different perspective on what worked and what didn’t. When we moved our family to Collingwood, I first coached at CrossFit Indestri in Collingwood, as well as the now defunct CrossFit Indestri Wasaga Beach. I also coached at CrossFit Mozomo in Collingwood,
So which one do I recommend here in Collingwood? Well it’s not quite that simple. Here are a few items that you need to consider.
- Do you like the people at the gym? This is important because you want to be in a positive group atmosphere, and you want the gym to be someplace that you want to go to.
- Do you like the coaches, and what they have to say? Are the coaches positive and do they motivate you to do more? No matter what your level, do they help you become a healthier, better you?
- What is the programming like? Do they offer substitutions or scaled versions that can accommodate an injury or a long absence from exercise? Can you workout so that you can are not too sore to function the next day?
- Who does the gym cater to? Is there over attention to the elite athletes, or is everyone there equally important?
I highly recommend CrossFit Mozomo. I currently train there with the great coaches and owners Michele, and John Smeh.
Here are my reasons why:
- Great people, no drama.
- Great facility, clean, open and bright.
- Great programming, intelligent design, and with thought for the individual and their skill level.
- This is a place I want to be, and I would recommend going there and trying it out. It is a great community fitness feel, and people are very welcoming from the top down. Give it a shot.
In Collingwood there are a few CrossFit gyms, and they all offer something a little different. CrossFit is a great program that promotes General Physical Preparedness (GPP) through functional, full-body movements. Going into a CrossFit gym is a little different then hitting the YMCA, or the local fitness facility. The equipment is different, the coaches are different, the people are different, and the vibe is different.
CrossFit is a methodology and a different way of training. It is not all flipping tractor tires and doing 100 pull ups while swinging a kettlebell. CrossFit is a program that seeks to increase work capacity across broad time and modal domains. Well that’s a complicated explanation, but the simple answer is that we want to make you strong, fit, and ready to do anything, while having fun.
So ask yourself, are you happy with the results that you have gotten from going to the gym, or are you really ready to get serious about your health and fitness?
How to Get Started in CrossFit
Getting started is a serious commitment, and an investment in your health. The goal is to teach you all of the different movements that we do in the classes. Olympic lifting, kettlebells, and running technique are all things that take time, and we want to make sure that you are doing these movements correctly.
Mark started coaching CrossFit in 2008 and has found it to be a great system to be well prepared for his day job in the emergency services. Mark has worked at Reebok CrossFit FirePower CrossFit Indestri Beach in Wasaga Beach & in Collingwood.
Quality of movement, having fun, learning new things, and seeking technical perfection are all important along this journey of self discovery.
QualificationsCrossFit Level 1
CrossFit Olympic Lifting
CrossFit Endurance Certification
National Weightlifting Coaching Certification
Ontario Weightlifting Association Member
Former Use of Force and Defensive Tactics Instructor for Police Service
CrossFit Indestri Beach in Wasaga Beach