Last week my kids came to me complaining that the yard supervisors at school were telling them that they were not allowed to do cartwheels or handstands. I thought, surely this wasn’t the case, so I decided to look into it a little more.
Then, I saw this post from Australia. It caused an international uproar about kids not being able to do handstands or cartwheels. I thought to myself, this is happening here, and now, and no one knows about it.
I did a little more digging. I received a list of rules (for the staff) who are supervising student behaviour during recess at Admiral Public School in Collingwood Ontario.
Today, I met with Principal Fran Dillon who indeed confirmed that the list of rules below would be adhered to in the interest of “safety”.
This is happening in our backyard, and I do not believe parents are aware of it.
- Are there too many rules for our kids?
- Do we need more unstructured play?
- What are we protecting our kids from, and what are the long term effects?
- Is the school’s primary job “safety” or learning development?
Here is the full list from Principal Fran Dillon Admiral Collingwood Public School.
Yard Supervision 2014-2015
In order to ensure consistency in staff expectations for student behaviour on the yard, I have tried to list as many behaviour do’s and don’ts as we could think of. I will continue to add to this list as needed.
- No Red Rover
- No hands on
- Students should always wear outdoor footwear
- No piggy backs or other gymnastic type activities ( includes handstands and cartwheels)
- No snowballs
- Students must ASK and adult before retrieving a ball or piece of equipment from over the fence. Please have students go around the fence. They should NOT climb the fence.
- All balls/equipment should be returned to buckets at the primary/junior entrances after the bell. Students are NOT to take equipment from the gym equipment rooms.
- No sidewalk chalk to be used outside
- Skipping ropes are to be used only for skipping, not to play other running games, etc.
- Students are not to be lifted up by their friends to reach the hoops or other parts of the playground equipment
- Students should not stand on top bars of ladder of playground equipment
- One person on duty should remain outside until all students are lined up, and scan back of playground to make sure everyone is in line.
- No one is allowed to climb the tree at the back of property. No swinging on tree branches or any other behaviour that could damage the tree is allowed.
- Students should not be down in trees or on slope by the Junior Entrance//Junior Basketball court. All of this grass area is out of bounds.
- No students, including Juniors, are to go beyond the corner of the staffroom to the Junior line-up area. Junior and Intermediate students need permission to enter school and must do so from the Primary doors during recess time.
- No standing, sliding or jumping off picnic tables
- Students should not be playing on the portable steps or on the gravel area around the portables
- The student leadership program “CATCH” will be up and running soon. Student leaders are wearing orange vests.
- Students should NOT be entering or exiting the school by the front doors unless accompanied by an adult
- On snow hills, students are to form a line for the sliding hill. They are only allowed to slide if an adult is supervising the hill. No pushing or shoving is permitted on the hill. If someone engages in the behaviour they are immediately removed from the hill.
- Students should NOT be using iPods, cellphones, etc. outside on the playground.
For More Information Contact:
Fran Dillon Principal email email@example.com
Admiral Collingwood Public School Phone: 705-445-0811
Admiral Collingwood Twitter: @acfleet
The blog post is coming…